Thursday, January 13, 2011

What is my audience?

Many artists and people who love art ask this question: should an artist paint only what he wants to paint, what appeals to him and what is important to him? The artworks should sell, after all. Does it mean in this case, if the picture is sold the artist's soul is sold too? Do the tastes of the buyers influence what the artist paints? These are very difficult questions. Though I could share my feelings on the matter and I could share some of my observations related to this.
Sometimes some artists live their own internal live, but this kind of artist is a "very specialized" representative of humanity. We all depend on the society; we observe what happens in the society and make our personal and private conclusions based on our observations.
Artworks are the result of these observations. An artwork may contradict the tastes of some members of public, while flatter the tastes and the cultural beliefs of others. But even if the taste of the public requires to be vulgar and non-aesthetic, the artist who can draw and paint will not be mislead by the crowd's tastes. Every artist is looking for his own audience, and few manage to please the majority of public.
Many of my artworks are sold abroad, outside of Russia, and all of them were sold by some middle-men. I have no idea how my American, Bulgarian or French collectors look like. Middlemen never talk about their customers, so there was no direct contact between myself and the artist and those who buy my art. I though before that I knew what style a French or a British customer would prefer, but now everything changed: as it tirns out, the French like not only decorative patterns, but also realism! :-) Preferences, likes and dislikes are different everywhere.

For various events and competitions I make paintings of this kind:
This one, perhaps, would not be something what many people would like to see on the wall in their bedroom :) Is this correct?

But I know that a collector from Germany put this picture in his bedroom my original painting Dogs (I am happy to know this collector in person).

Images like this I paint for myself and for my customers.


Images like this I do only for myself, but hope that one day they will appeal to many buyers.





Russian Translate
Многие художники и любители живописи задаются вопросом: Должен ли художник писать только для души? Ведь в конце концов произведение искусства должно быть продано. Означает ли при этом, что если картина продана, значит продана душа? Влияют ли вкусы покупателей на творчество художника? Все это очень сложные вопросы. Но я могу поделится своими чувствами и частью своих наблюдений. Иногда художники живут своей внутренней жизнью, но чаще всего это очень социализированные представители человечества. Мы зависим от общества, мы живем в обществе, мы наблюдаем за обществом, но выдаем только свои личные выводы из своих наблюдений. И результатом этих выводов становится картина. Эта картина может противоречить вкусам одних зрителей и потакать вкусам и культурным воззрениям других. Но даже если вкус зрителей требует быть неэстетичным, художник, умеющий рисовать, не пойдет на поводу у толпы. Каждый ищет своего собственного зрителя и ценителя. Не многим удается понравится большинству.
Мои работы, вывезенные за пределы России, были куплены через посредников. Я не знаю, как выглядит мой американский коллекционер, болгарский, французский и т.д. Посредники никогда не рассказывают о клиентах, что не было прямого контакта между мной и покупателем. Раньше я думал, что я знал, какой стиль предпочитает французский, какой стиль в Англии, но теперь все изменилось: французы любят не только декоративные картины, но и реализм:) Но предпочтения везде разные. Например,для выставок в России я делаю картины как "Банновские овраги" (эта работа прошла строгую комиссию из академиков на двух престижных выставках)
"Вид на яхты" - это, что люблю я, и что любят мои зрители и покупатели.
А вот картины, подобные "Синей ночи, белому псу" я делаю пока только для себя. Но надеюсь, что скоро они обретут своих почитателей и многочисленных покупателей.

No comments:

Post a Comment